HaKaTa Hyakkaten 3 EP06 – English Subs

February 18, 2015 by

Hyakkaten3EP06

The guest this week is Okada Keisuke from the comedy duo, Masuda Okada. He’s crazy and silly and fails his jokes often, but he’s still weirdly funny? Anyway, they bring back one of Hyakkaten’s most popular segments: comic haiku written by the members’ families! What kind of secrets will the family members reveal this time around?

Also, sometimes when I rewatch the episode for QC purposes, I realize that I have to pause the video to read the subs. Would it be easier if I just sub the main speaker instead of subbing everyone who tries to interject? Sometimes they’re just repeating what the main speaker is saying, and that might be annoying to read.

[Note: In this episode, they use the word “脱衣所” (datsuijo), which I translated to “dressing room” for lack of a better word. However, it’s more like an area that leads to the room with the bathtub, like this]

Softsubs (.ass): [BlueMentaiko] HaKaTa Hyakkaten 3 EP06

Original Air Date: 2/16/2015
Featuring: Sashihara Rino, Kodama Haruka, Tashima Meru, Tanaka Miku, Tomonaga Mio, Moriyasu Madoka, Yabuki Nako, Tanaka Natsumi, Kojina Yui, Motomura Aoi, Wakatabe Haruka, Aramaki Misaki, and Sakamoto Erena

41 thoughts on “HaKaTa Hyakkaten 3 EP06 – English Subs

I really liked this episode, it was funny and I learned some new things from the parents’ haiku (that was one of my favourite sections from the previous seasons as well). I liked this guest as well, I found his gags to be a bit lame, but his remarks throughout the show actually were funny and he seemed like a decent guy. I pretty much enjoyed the whole thing but particular highlights for me were; Boss still sits on her Mum’s lap (aww) but says her Dad smells (urk), Meru’s militant messiness, Jiina…going with the door open(…) and Nako feeling guilty about sassing her Mum (aww again). I’ve got to say though; Nako’s going to have to learn to adjust clothes, because I don’t think that problem is ever going to go away, in fact if Nako gets to 157cm like her Mum, she’ll probably be lucky.

Like Mikurin, I enjoy when the atmosphere gets awkwardly quiet, so I was laughing at his jokes as well. Especially the bit he did for Mio. I love how Boss and her dad make fun of each other. They must have a pretty close relationship to be able to laugh at each other like that. That Nako segment killed me, though. I’m super close with my mom; like, I never, ever went through a rebellious phase because I love her so much and I’d choose her over anyone else in my life, so hearing that made me so sad. 🙁 I’m glad she admitted it was wrong, though. And yeah, I’m only 5’1″ (well, 5’1″ and 3/4, but who’s counting?) and I can never find anything my size. I still have to shop at the junior section sometimes. -.-

Ooh I’m just in time for a new release! I usually have to wait a week or so to catch up so I’m not used to getting a fresh new one. Thanks Blue 🙂 I can’t really comment on them though because I have to start watching now lol.

As for the subbing, it’s not your fault if there’s a lot of stuff being said at once in short time. Personally, I like that you sub everything. I think most fans will watch an episode at least twice anyway and catch anything they missed the first time. Like those viewer boxes in the top corner of some shows, like Odekake. I miss most of what they say the first time but I follow them when I watch again.

Thanks for your input! I also enjoy being able to read/understand as much as possible, so it’s nice hearing that you feel the same. It’s definitely hard when so many girls are talking over each other, though!

3. altaikho

Well that was fun, especially the bit with Nako at the end there.  That was heartwarming.  I have a theory: if Meru is the loud one who sits on the far end…does that make her the Shige of this season??  Yay for being a Meru oshi!

Thanks for the subs, Blue!  I’ve never really issues reading the subs, but I also read really fast so…

Meru should join the gui gui senbatsu, if that’s still a thing. She could be the co-captain or something. When Chori and Tani left, I was worried that hkt variety shows would stop being as entertaining, but Meru and Nako are doing so well that I don’t miss Chori/Tani at all. I mean, I obviously still want them back in HKT, but it’s nice that the other members are taking over.

4. ▶ MikieBeats ⊿ : /v

After watching this it makes me wish that I lived together with Aoi :v

As for the subs, I’ve always thought that the main speaker should be the only one subbed. Since shows like these will constantly have multiple people talking at once, it’s helps to have less lines on screen and just let the main speaker(s) take priority

Perv… ≖‿≖

Is that how AIDOL does it (I’m sorry, I don’t watch subbed shows ><)? I think that'll look neater, too, but sometimes the other members have funny things to say and then I'm like, "Hmm, it won't be fair if I only translate what this girl says, I guess I'll do it for everyone else so they all get some screen time!" I guess I'll check out some EbiCalcio to see what you guys dooo!

5. 시카 권제시카 권제

OMG Blue your so FAST! Loved this weeks episode I cracked up hard at Aoi! I cant believe the fire child is actually a nudist hahahaha even her dad is not spared. I really like this show cause you get to know the members better, like how Mikurin is actually a scaredy-cat paranoid about ghost and that Jiina likes to do a no.2 with the door open lol. Once again Meru stole the show, the girl is really great with variety. I cant wait for the annex.

I always thought Aoi was quite embarrassed about her body because she doesn’t bathe with the other members and stuff, but I had no idea she was so open at home. But whatever floats her boat! And me too, I love Hyakkaten because unlike other variety shows, it’s trying to sell you the girl, so it’s a lot more member-focused.

6. wuerfel

Thanks for the subs, Blue! I really enjoyed this episode, it is funny to hear what some of the girls are doing at home. I could sympathize with Meru this time. Everytime I come home, I throw my things including the cellphone on a bed or sofa. It is comfortable. >D
    Today I noticed that, since I started watching Hyakkaten, I came to like Aoi more and more. I wonder about that… she does not say much, maybe I just enjoy her making faces?

Please don’t reduce the subs for neatness. I watched Odekake before and at first I had problems following all the comments left and right and below, but I got used to it quickly and Hyakkaten seems easy to read for me. I like their interjections, I don’t want to miss them

Did you see the signed picture of Ume in the stack of Meru things? She’s so obsessed with her, lol. I’m a bit sad that Aoi isn’t playing that big of a role this season especially since she did so well in seasons 1 and 2, but she still makes cute, sometimes judgmental faces, which is enough for me! :3

Ok, gotcha! Seems like most people prefer them, so I’ll keep them. 🙂

Blue, arigato for the subs and especially for cranking this one out so fast. I can’t WAIT for the ANNEX episode though, as Lovetan is a personal favorite of mine. I keep thinking how she said in a previous Hyakkaten season about not having a place anymore in AKB and trying to figure it all out. She has no filter when she talks, so I love that about her. I think it’s an interesting Senpai for the HKT girls to have, don’t you?
     It’s so weird to think Tani (my current oshimen in SKE) and Chori were part of HKT. I mean, I LOVE both of them, but it’s crazy how I see Tani now as part of her duo with Kaotan and Chori blended well with AKB, and fast too. But now, HKT is evolving into this new monster of a group with NakoMiku, Haruppi, Boss, your oshi, Meru chan, and all of them are just KILLING IT! This episode made me so happy!
    Speaking of your oshi, wow, some story eh? Lol. I have found though that in Japanese homes, this isn’t really all that unusual to have the children naked in front of their parents well into their teenage years. I know a few girls who are Japanese that told me they took baths with their fathers when they were 16. But it was amazing to see the reactions from everyone.
    NakoMiku I think is going to end up being HUGE in the years to come. Like come the 2020 Olympics, something tells me these girls will be the face of HKT, easily. They are just too amazing. Miku is becoming my new HKT oshi I think, although boss is soooo deadpan funny! I think Sasshi has got a great group here. And it was heartwarming to hear ALL of their stories because it shows that they are all still just kids who love their parents. That’s a great message to convey to people watching them. I mean, who can’t relate to being a rebellious teenager?
     Amaaaazing episode. It just keeps getting better and better.

Lovetan is a good captain, it’s obvious the KIV girls love and respect her, and I think despite being pretty blunt, she’s actually really kind and looks out for her girls. Yeah, I thought I was going to miss Chori and Tani in variety, but the other girls are doing so well that I don’t miss their presence at all. I still love them and I’m happy that they’re having so much success in their new groups, especially Tani in SKE. Maybe someday they can appear on a show together again, though. 🙂

Yeah, I don’t think nudity among family members and close friends isn’t that big of a deal in Japan compared to the west. When I was young, I took a lot of bath with my female (Japanese) friends, it was no big deal. I think we have a tendency to immediately label it as being sexual, when it really isn’t. I guess this also stems from Japan’s culture of bathhouses, hotsprings, and the general communal feel when it comes to bathing.

And yep, HKT has a solid future in NakoMiku. They’re young, good at variety, cute, contrast each other well, and have enough personality for fans to latch onto. It’s a nice feeling knowing that after Sakurappi graduates, MeruMio can take over, and then when they graduate, NakoMiku can take over.

8. BurntJoint

I dont even know where to start with this episode. I thought last week was going to be my favourite, but this week has easily surpassed it and the preview for next week looks just as good, if not better(and also maybe because i’ll get to watch it on my birthday)

Here comes the random thought train.. CHOO CHOO all aboard!

I wonder if Mio is going to do that gag for the handshake events, and even more importantly if she is going to upload another little Google+ video of it. I just signed up to it last week and can’t believe everything ive been missing out on there, they all usually post at least once a day sometimes more…

Mikurin… that girl… i swear she is going to be leading the whole thing in a few years. She reminds me of Mayu when she first started and look where she is now. Also Blue, when does the episode air? because she posted her oshi badge on her Google+ plus a day or two ago as well.

Nako managed to make sure we had someone cry this episode to keep the tradition going, but it was so cute when she was standing there holding Sashi’s hand talking about her mum.

Meru still doing whatever she wants as usual, and Erena doesn’t look nervous when she speaks anymore which is good. I’ll never really understand the nakedness/bathing these girls do with their parents, especially their fathers when they are at that age. Under 10 i can understand, but 14-15 years old?

Sorry for the long post, there was a lot to think about 🙂 Oh and as for the translating, it may just be because im a really fast reader, but i’ve never had any issues with your subs and ive seen just about everything you have ever released. Keep doing what you are doing.

Happy early birthday! 🙂

If you want to see all the g+ posts in a neat and tidy place, this is a good link: http://akbp48.com/archive/list/HKT48

Yeah, I can see why Mikurin is so popular. I love how she’s stonefaced most of the time, though. I know that’s just how her face is, but it always looks like she’s glaring at people. But then when she speaks, she’s cute and respectful, albeit a bit calculating lol. And Hyakkaten airs on Monday night (Tuesday morning if you want to be pedantic) at 1:30am, I believe.

Nako’s bit was cute, but heartbreaking. T_T That “pair” comment got to me. I mentioned this earlier, but I don’t think it’s that strange to take baths with parents at that age- well, maybe with fathers, yes. But ya know, different cultures and such!

Cool, cool. I’m glad you guys are fast readers! I’ll keep the format the same, then. 🙂

9. Detruisto

Wouldn’t 157 cm be a pretty normal height for Japanese women? According to this source the average height of adult Japanese women is 157-158 cm: http://www.mext.go.jp/b_menu/toukei/001/022/2004/002.pdf

It must be a bit frustrating to shop in the US or Europe, but living in Japan with that height should be fine…

This episode made me like Nako, normally I do not like that she is pushed so much (less screentime for Yuka), but Nako is a lot of fun.

10. pybcu FS

> Would it be easier if I just sub the main speaker instead of subbing everyone who tries to interject?

It would be less work for you, but if asked what I prefer: having everything subbed is better 🙂
    Those interjections are the thing I personally find very hard to hear and understand myself, so I’m always happy when I at least can hear what they said after reading the translation.

As mentioned by suberi already: many will likley watch parts again anyway. I find myself frequently skipping back while watching. Not necessarily because I couldn’t read the subs fast enough, but because I want to see the member’s faces/guestures properly 🙂 Reading subtitles kind of draws the eye towards the bottom, so it is nice to watch again without having to do “triple” work (* trying to hear what they say phonetically, * trying to translate the Japanese, * using the subs, mapping the text to the person who talked, translating them to native-languages & control that what I think I heard/translated from Japanese makes sense (and most often fill in the various gaps in my vocabulary where I had no idea what was going on ;)) and to be able to focus more on the visual part.

No idea whether you can make sense of what I just wrote 🙂
    Reason for rewatching parts is not amount/speed necessary to read the subtitles, I appreciate that most if not all of the dialog is translated. But would also understand if you want to go easier on yourself and skip that (after all timing, typing, qc of what you typed… you do it all yourself, week after week). Thank you once more 🙂

Ah, ok! The workload isn’t a problem for me, adding the extra lines takes maybe 2 hours, tops. I just felt that maybe having so many lines pop up on the screen would get distracting, but it seems that those who commented rewatch it anyway, so it’s not that big of a deal? When you work alone and have no one telling you to change things, you kinda start doubting yourself. Plus, I suck a typesetting, so I’m always worried that people will have a hard time reading my subs. That’s why getting feedback about this kind of thing is always welcome, so thanks for your input! 🙂

1. pybcu FS

Oh, typesetting is not so important – you use legible fonts/contour and that is what counts 🙂 Also while the timing sometimes is short (timed to the duration of the talking, but not adjusted for reading), I’v seen (and still enjoied) much worse. You’re really doing a pretty damn job 🙂

Another reason for me to pause/rewind: reading all the stuff the members write on their whiteboards 🙂
        (and no, this is not something I want or expect to have translated in a sub if it appears so briefly, hard to read because of all the reflections and members blocking sight :-))

It doesn’t hurt to share, so here we go, the members’ questions they want to ask Okada about the Television business in the fake & cancelled segment (don’t hesitate to point out any mistakes):

Back row, left to right
        Yui: Even if food doesn’t taste good, do you absolutely have to say “It’s delicious” no matter what?
        Madoka: Please tell us the trick to not getting cut!
        Aoi: I don’t have a feel for the timing.
        Mio: How to get screen time?? What is the trick to not get nervous??
        W. Haruka: What to do in order not to get lost in a big crowd of people?
        Natsumi: The method to come across as cute!!

Front row, left to right:
        K. Haruka: About the guaranteed pay..
        Nako: I don’t understand what is good to say, and what is bad to say.
        Miku: Who decides what parts are cut and the like!?
        Misaki: I don’t know which camera to look at.
        Erena: I don’t know when it’s a good time to speak up.
        Meru: How to treat Artits/Comedians/Performans (sorry for all the time)

PS: I couldn’t figure out what word Madoka did use – it is not 教える – but what did she write instead?

Yeah, I thought about writing what they had on their flip boards like I did in Mitz Mangrove’s episode, but it was so long that it was going to take up half the screen, even as a T/N note on top. And the only reason I did that in Mitz’s episode is because Boss wrote “gay bar,” which I thought was funny so I included it. I didn’t think this one was relevant enough. ><  And Madoka does use 教える, it's just hard to tell, but I can see the shape of it. Everything else is correct!

And thanks for the input!

11. Ewit Evertsen

Thanks for the subs!

I like as much subs as possible. I remember pausing a lot with other AKB-related shows to read the subtitles…so I’m for the many subtitles. But, if it’s tiring or boring better less than nothing! (but that’s just lazy me thinking)

Ok, cool, thanks for your input! 🙂 I try to limit the subs to 2 or 3 lines since I don’t want it to take up half the screen, but I’ll continue subbing as much as I can!

12. toyNN

Thanks for the hard work getting these subbed so quickly! Catching up on Okedake with your subs also.

I think its good to sub the relevant conversation as much as possible. Some random interjections can probably be ignored but otherwise its nice when its all subbed. We all end up pausing or going back to catch what was said at times and I do appreciate then the timings keep the sub text on the screen as long as possible.

No problem!

Thanks for your input. Seems like keeping the subs as they are is the most popular opinion. I’ll see if I can make the subs stay on the screen longer. 🙂

13. Adelia

Nako’s crying about her and Mom had me feeling a bit sad, but in the end it seemed to turn out well, in therapeutic kind of way. I like finding out more about the girls, and the guest was nice and didn’t dominate. As for your question: I much prefer to have more subs rather than less subs – so long as I can tell who is saying what(and that has never been a problem with your subbing.) I have only ever felt there were missing subs rather than too many subs. As a fan, I actually enjoy pausing or replaying any parts that I can’t quite follow or read the first time; I often rewatch parts just because I like them so much anyway.

Yeah, I like it when it’s more member focused rather than guest focused, which is why I like this episode and the Mitz Mangrove episode. I’d rather hear about the members, their quirks, their faults, etc. than see them make box lunches.

Thanks for your input! I prefer pausing and rewatching parts, too, but I wasn’t sure if other people found having to do that annoying or not. I’ll stick with how I usually sub. 🙂

14. MC

Thanks for the subs, Blue! On the subject of subs, I also like as much translated as possible, and never mind pausing or rewinding. I even have 5 and 15 second rewind buttons just for that!!

This was one if the best episodes yet! That bit about Aoi was great, made even funnier when Sasshi pranked her about having a photo! And Mikurin turning bright red was totally endearing. Somehow, I’m not surprised that Nako is in her rebellious phase.

What sometimes surprises me is now personal some of the revelations are…Jiina’s were quite out there. But that’s what makes these shows fun to watch.

Thanks for your input! 🙂

Hahaha, Aoi freaking out was the cutest thing ever. I didn’t sub this part because it was so brief, but I think Wakachan muttered something like, “Don’t get my hopes up” when Sasshi revealed that it was just a trick.

Ikr? That balding one was quite extreme…

15. melonpandesal

Right, she’s mature for her age and smart as well. I would like emily to appear in this show  and see how she will do in variety show. So far the two kks is performing good, even though one is still shy.

She’s appearing next week along with Saechan! So 2 more kenkyuuseis included. All we’re missing now is Yuna, Tsutsui, and Hazuki, so hopefully they can make an appearance, too.

16. Putraman

Ahh finally got to catch up with Hyakkaten. I do hope they insert more of these comic haikus every few episodes—always fun getting to know the members a little better (and seeing them get all embarrassed is a bonus. :x)

It looks like I’m in the majority vote regarding subs! Thanks for all the hard work you put in, Blue~
    As for Google+ links I use this sometimes: http://gp48.net/