What to Sub Next?

July 5, 2014 by

Hi, everyone.

Now that I’m almost done subbing Odekake!, I’m starting to think about what show to sub next. I don’t really have anything in mind, so if you have any suggestions please let me know! While I’m not particularly picky, I’d prefer it if the show isn’t too old, can be found on H!O in fairly good quality, and SKE, HKT, or maybe even Nogizaka related. AKB is fine too, but I feel like they have enough people contributing to the fandom already, which is why I’d prioritize the other groups more.

I also thought about just being a request-based subber since the larger subbing groups usually handle big-budget shows like EbiFri and whatnot. Smaller local shows tend to run for more than one season and after subbing more than 30 episodes of one show, I don’t think I want to do anything that long again, lol. If I were request-based however, I could just sub whatever episode people ask for, making it easier for me to give you what you specifically want. At the same time, while being request-based sounds good in theory, I think it might prove problematic in practice.

Let me know what you think!

Categories
bluementaiko

About the author: bluementaiko

Hi, you can call me Blue. I'm an independent subber. Currently working on Hyakkaten 3. Since I work alone, nothing is 100%. Feel free to talk to me, offer suggestions, etc.! My oshi is Motomura Aoi, and my favorite group is HKT. If you have any questions, please check out the FAQ first. Thank you!!

71 thoughts on “What to Sub Next?

1. Deane

The new hkt show. I think first episode came out yesterday. Its on h!o but cant remember the name of it

2. Andrie Yosua Cornelius

i think many options for you as well, can be hkt shakariki 48, hkt variety 48, goboten, or hokamina. for ske, SKE no Sekai Seifuku Joshi can be an option. for others, joshikou keisatsu can be good option.

Goboten is already being subbed by Guild48 and Hokamina raws aren’t available on H!O without Chinese subs. 🙁 Also, Joshikoi Keisatsu is being subbed by AIDOL. I might sub a few episodes of SJo since I enjoyed it a lot!

3. burgerchocolate

Thanks for your hardwork.
    I’m agree with blue_ratoz, HKT Shakariki 48 should be subbed ^^

4. Eroisa

I was interested on subs for Renai Sousenkyo but I don’t know if it’s so interesting after all (I haven’t watched enough of the show yet, just a few segments).
    Or maybe you could pickup some special content from singles which weren’t subbed yet?It would be nice!Like the HKT bowling championship and SKE seems to have some interesting specials on their singles too.
    Well, since the Heart Ereki release I was really interested on its extras specially the Team 4/kks audition for the team k PV and the Sayaka documentary, but I don’t know if there are many people interested on that to be honest hahah and like you said that are lot of people are subbing akb content already.

Another thing that we don’t see a lot (compared to variety shows) and usually it’s what I enjoy the most (and are hard to understand for non-japanese speakers) are MC segments from theater performances, maybe a compilation of some you watched and found funny/interesting or people could make requests.

hahah I guess I didn’t helped a lot XD

I’ve never watched Renai SSK and don’t really have an interest to, so I won’t be picking that up. Sorry. 🙁 It seems like a popular show so I hope another subbing group will pick it up!

The DVD extras from the singles might be a good idea. I have a friend who wants to see the KII rap battle from Mirai to Wa? subbed, so I might do that one! I’d love to do more, but they tend to be long and a bit tedious to do. Maybe once I’m done with the KII battle, I can try to do more.

Yay, a person who understands how great the MC segments from the theater performance are! I basically skip over all the dancing and singing and go straight to the MCs, lol. But at the moment, I’m not following any HKT stages. The only one I regularly watch is Team E’s, and that’s mostly for Tani. I’m not sure how many people would like to see that, lol.

5. bsfema

Misc stuff:
    140412 Mechaike
    140531 Mechaike
    110101 Akemashite AKB! 2011
    120920 AKB48 vs Geinojin Kazoku 48 vs Onee48
    130103 AKB48 vs Geinojin Kazoku 48 vs Onee48
    AKBingo (especially the Muchaburi Dodgeball episodes that are left (eps 144, 146, 237, 253 and 254))
    130123 AKBingo (ep. 222)

Thanks for the suggestion! Right now I have a lot of HKT/SKE/Nogi requests to consider, so I might leave AKB out of it for a while. I will however keep all these in mind since I genuinely enjoy the collab between Mechaike and AKB.

Thanks for your efforts on subbing Odekake! I would love if you stay subbing HKT shows. There’s barely any subbed HKT shows besides yours and lonely avocado. Also he doesn’t really update frequently so it would be great if you continue subbing HKT shows.  I would suggest you subbing the shows that you enjoyed though, I think that would make your life easier 😀

I might just do a variety of shows from different groups since I enjoy them as well. However, I will remain HKT-focused and will prioritize them over any other group. 🙂

1. Manolo

How about subbing the Sashihara and Takahashi talking part from AKB48 SHOW! episode 30 you can download episode from H!O :o)

Yeah, not all the episodes have been subbed, but my initial plan was to only sub until ep.31, which I will fulfill. I’m just a bit tired of subbing the same show, I’d like to get my hands on something new!

For some reason Shabekuri is one of those shows I’ve never got around to watching. Unfortunately variety shows of that magnitude are too difficult for me to sub. 🙁 I’m sorry!

7. takawaifu

There aren’t many quality Nogizaka subs out there, so that would be my choice, to get more people interested in them.

They have their regular show Nogizakatte Doko? (now with Matsui Rena <333) that I don't think anyone is currently doing, I've only seen random older episodes subbed.

Also, NOGIBINGO!2 would be a popular choice. I've only seen a few of them subbed, as well as most of the first season, but the translation is quite poor overall. Most Nogi subs are like that actually… I feel a little bad saying that because they try their best and I still watch them. but it is what it is.

PS Thanks again for already taking my Odekake ep64 request. Whatever you sub next, I'll be happy 🙂

Yeah, I really like NogiDoko (mostly because I love Banana Man), so I wouldn’t mind doing a few episodes from that show. Obviously I won’t do all of it since there are so many, but if people could request certain episodes, I’d be down to do it.

I wasn’t a huge fan of Nogibingo 2, and if I were to do it I won’t translate over another person’s subs, but I might do the unsubbed episodes. Right now I don’t have anything set-in-stone except Shakariki, but I’ll eventually narrow it down so I can create some semblance of a schedule. When I do that, I’ll see if I can fit some episodes in!

8. saki

I would love to see HKT Shakariki 48 subbed! ^^ Hokamina will be great too, and it’s not every week so you’ll not too rush to sub it. UKN48 have done episode 1 and episode 2 of Goboten, I’m not sure if they want to continuously subbing it. Shakariki is on my top list  for now (with HKT Tonkotsu Mahou Shoujo Gakuin DVD, but I still can’t find the raw yet at H!O TT)

Does it mean you’ll stop subbing Odekake? I hope not. You’re the only  consistent Odekake subber here T^T

I’ll be picking up Shakariki! 🙂 Unfortunately Hokamina raws aren’t available and like you said, Goboten is being subbed by another group. I didn’t even know Tonkotsu was already out on DVD, oops. I’d love to see the extras as well.

Yes, I’m done with Odekake, at least for the time being. I’ve just been working on it for a long time and it’s becoming really stale.  I might pick it back up again someday, but for now we still have Lonely working on it! 🙂

I’d love to see some more SKE or Nogizaka subs. I don’t know about SKE’s shows, but the subbing of Nogibingo! 2 stopped after episode 4 of 12, I think, so that would be doable. I’d love Nogizaka tte Doko, but it’s now at 140 episodes so…

But if there was an SKE series you could do, I’d love that, especially with Aidol apparently committed to the the new Ebi series.

Hmm, do you know which subbing group was doing Nogibingo 2? I’m very clueless when it comes to subbing outside of HKT, so I’m afraid I’ll accidentally sub an episode that was already in another subbing group’s schedule. I enjoy NogiDoko and I’ve seen a few subs floating around, so I might just do a few select episodes. Definitely not going to do all 140…

I’ve received requests for SJo. Again, I’m not going to do the whole series, but I might sub a few of the episodes I really enjoyed like their version of “Suberanai Hanashi” and that one karuta game Goto Risako did. Those were a lot of fun!

1. Ronaldes SinagaRonaldes Sinaga

Otsukaresama deshita Blue-san
        https://twitter.com/subshiro46 doing Nogibingo 2. And it stuck at  episode 4 for ages 😀
        nogizakanouta.blogspot.com : Nogidoko and Nogibingo, unfortunately they’re not subbing episode 12. As far as i know no one subbing it.
        So i like to have a request for episode 12 of Nogibingo.
        Onegaishimazu >,<

If I remember correctly, episode 12 of Nogibingo never aired because HKT won the janken thing and was given the 1hr slot to air their haunted house special for Tonkotsu. I remember hearing that Nogi’s 1hr special would be included in the Nogibingo DVD, but I’m not 100% sure. If you have a link to ep.12, let me know!

10. Darksteel

Maybe you could continue to sub Odekake working with Lonely Avocado to split up the later episodes so there’s no overlap since they’re on ep. 74 or so by now and and Lonely Avocado has just finished ep 44.

Sorry, I’m done with Odekake for now. 🙁 Having worked so long on it, I’m itching for something new. However, I might come back to it someday and work on the newer episodes.

11. daifugoeyes

Id like to see HKT veraity 48 subbed, or the new one, as was mentioned.
    Mmm, I guess I’ll be fine with everything.
    But, yeah, the HKT *Something* 48 (its the formeat of them, so…) will be great!
    Thank you so much for translating! Really!

I thought about HKT Variety, but the older episodes are in LQ and for some reason I can’t get the resolution right when encoding. It tends to mess up my subs, and I’m not tech-savvy enough to figure out how to fix it, lol. But I’ll be doing the new show, Shakariki!

12. n4v1n4v1

If you’re also willing to sub nogizaka stuff, then you should take a look at nogidoko episodes, there hasn’t been a lot of subbed stuff of them around, and this show is perhaps the best show representing them.
    As for nogibingo, I think you can still enjoy it without subs.

Well, if you decide to take on this show, perhaps you could take a look at this thread in stage48 to see which episodes hasn’t been subbed yet, just in case, =)

Thanks for your suggestion! A few people have also suggested NogiDoko, and I, too, believe it’s one of the best 48G shows around. Banana Man is phenomenal.

I’ll definitely check the stage thread out. I don’t wanna sub anything that has already been claimed by someone else!

To answer your question, as far as I know only two groups have subbed Ngzk series’; Subshiro, which subbed Noginbingo, up until Nogibingo! 2 episode 4 (if there are more episodes that were subbed I never found them) as well as some episodes of Nogidoko, and IkomaSubs, who subbed some episodes of Nogidoko. Nogibingo! 2 and NogiDoko’s episodes are all on H!O (not Nogibingo! 1 though, weirdly) as well.

It looks like you’re going with Shakariki though, that’s cool, I look forward to it! If you decide to do some SJo or Nogidoko episodes I’d love it, though. And while I don’t like Ijiri, I absolutely love Nogibingo because it has so much Kazumin and Ikomachan, and some of the funnier members like Noujo Ami and Kawamura Mahiro who don’t get much of a chance on their less wacky shows.

Thanks for the links! I really should be better at communicating with other subbing groups, but I tend to stay in my own little HKT bubble. Gotta work on that!

Yes, Shakariki is one of the shows I’m going to pick up. However, since it has just started, it’s not like Odekake where I’m trying to play catch up. That means I’ll have time to work on other shows. Right now I’m thinking that it’ll be a few episodes of NogiDoko and SJo, plus a few other requests like DVD extras and whatnot.

14. frans48

How about ” AKB48 Konto – Nanimo Soko Made “.
    It’s already finished & i think no one take this show..
    it’s interesting like bimyo..

15. takawaifu

I hadn’t heard of Shakariki but it looks good! I’m happy you like NogiDoko too, I think if it got more exposure it would be very popular. Even if you just did new-ish episodes once in a while when you wanted a change, it would be great. Ultimately, you should just take requests that you’ll enjoy too, or you’ll start to hate it.

Yeah, I’m surprised at the lack of NogiDoko subs since it’s such a good show! And this is coming from someone who isn’t even a huge fan of Nogizaka. But yeah, I’ll rewatch some of the episodes and weed out the ones I enjoyed the most. Or I’ll just make a separate post where people can request episodes. 🙂

16. takoyaki

Hey Blue, I’m gonna pop in to say that it would be good to get some HKT or Nogizaka46 content. Sorry I can’t be more specific, I’m just not up to date and what shows are airing for each group.

HKT is good because, well, it’s kinda what I’ve come to expect from you; though maybe that’s weak reasoning.

Nogizaka46 is particularly good because the two major subbers, SubShiro (https://twitter.com/subshiro46) and Ikoma subs (http://ikomasubs.wordpress.com/category) have basically stopped subbing stuff. I mean, this place: http://stage48.net/forum/index.php?threads/subbed-nogizaka-shows-thread.6775/ is essentially devoid of new content.

I’m gonna sneak some bias in and say that if you do end up doing AKB, please make it new stuff. I know everyone loves the old senbatsu and everything, but I’m more interested in current AKB (New gen). That said, like you mentioned, there are enough doing AKB so it’d be much better to see you covering the other groups.

Thanks always Blue,

Takoyaki.

Hi, thank you for the links! I’m sad to hear a show as great as NogiDoko isn’t being subbed anymore. 🙁 I’m not super crazy about Nogizaka, but I’ll try to see if I can get a few episodes out. 🙂

Oh yeah, definitely! I love the old senbatsu because that’s what got me into AKB, but the new gens are just as good, I think! If I do end up doing a few AKB shows, I’ll make sure they’re the newer ones.

17. wikobear

ever heard “Tsukichii New Open”? where the HKT members stroll around the city looking for newly opened shops (mainly food) then try their best to give the impression to the viewer. but the file name in H!O contains “duomo”. i don’t know which is the right name for the show, lol.

here is the example link from H!O, http://www.hello-online.org/index.php?app=xbt&CODE=details&torrent=68045
    the show itself never go beyond 10minutes, mostly 3-5minutes. it’ll be a walk in the park for you i guess, haha xD

other than that, Shakariki would be a nice choice. its sad to know that you stopped subbing Odekake for now 🙁

well then, looking forward for your future release. keep on subbing blue!!

Oh wow, I completely forgot that this show existed.. Idk how many people would like to see idols eating and stuff (it was covered pretty extensively in Odekake), but yeah, I’ll keep it in mind!

Yeah, I’ll be working on Shakariki. Sorry about Odekake, but maybe I’ll come back to it someday!

18. Garmr

I personally will like see to some Nogizakatte, koko! sub while I can’t find them on H!O rusty van upload some on dailymotion (link: http://www.dailymotion.com/rusty_van).
    Nogizaka tte Doko or Nogibingo! 2 will be nice but personally I like Nogizaka46 undergirls better then the senbatsu.

19. Four8

Hi, this is just random sugestion… this is latest Asahi.com interview Haruppi. (sory for bad english) http://pan.baidu.com/wap/link?uk=1981513633&shareid=573941370&third=0

Thanks for your suggestion! I haven’t seen this yet, but I’ll check it out! Unfortunately I have a lot of other requests, so I might not get to it. Sorry!

1. Manolo

sorry my repliy didn’t show on original comment about AKB48 show sashii and takahashi part to sup it’s short and simple…lol

20. gunner331

how bout “tentoumu chu no sekai o muchu ni sasemasu sengen” halfassed already subbed 3 or 4 episode,seems he doesn’t look like continue subbing it…
    it was tentoumu chu new variety show,very interesting! try to look it out! sorry for my very poor english -.-

It’s a really nice show, but until Hayate specifically says he won’t continue, I’d feel bad about taking it. As far as I know, he’s still doing them, albeit a bit slower than at first.

21. fowfow

Thank you for your hard work~ as for requests, I would prefer HKT related shows to be subbed! HKT is my favorite sister group and there aren’t very many subbers out there for them 🙁

No worries! HKT’s Shakariki will be the main show I’ll be focusing on! I’ll do a few videos here and there from the other groups, but I’ll remain HKT-focused for the most part. 🙂

22. fowfow

Oh, I forgot to mention this but I don’t think anyone has subbed the  Mae shika mukanee or Heart Ereki dramas yet, I’ve always hoped someone would sub them but It doesn’t look like it’s going to happen . >_< If you ever get tired of variety TV show  you can try those maybe heh

23. Gustavo

Please sub interesting HKT48 Odekake episodes like episodes #48 and #64.
    Episode #48 Christmas Special and #64 with Nakanishi Chiyori and Tani Marika.
    I’ll appreciated if you do.

According to the HKT subbing doc, episode 48 is supposed to be subbed by Half. But I’ll be subbing episode 64 since I received a few requests for it. It should be up in a week or so. 🙂

24. Vince

Hey Blue!

First of all, I’d just like to say congrats on finishing episode 31 of Odekake!! It’s no joke doing subtitles for so many episodes and it’s quite admirable that you actually finished what you set out to do. People like that are rare indeed.

As for what show to sub next, NMB has the new season of Geinin out, which may be fun. You’re still focusing on HKT so maybe Goboten or Shakariki, both of which are pretty new so I don’t think anyone’s subbing them yet. I think dramas are a good idea too since they get more casual fans interested in the 48 Groups. Casual fans don’t really watch variety shows since they don’t recognize the faces but dramas have a plot to follow. Anyway, I love Nogizaka46 too so I’m looking forward to those subs.

Thanks!

Thank you! I always try to follow through on my promises if possible. 🙂

I believe the new season of Geinin is being subbed by Project48 since they did both seasons 1 and 2. Goboten is also being subbed, but by Guild48. I’ll be doing Shakariki, though!

I love variety, but I’m not opposed to the idea of subbing dramas. Someone mentioned doing the Mae Shika Mukanee drama, which I might do since it seems pretty easy to do!